Skip to main content

Late Shift

Some people say we're all connected, all part of a bigger picture; some harmonious flow, endless and meaningful. Maybe that's how it looks from a distance; but up close, with eyes open, I see no evidence of some spiritual choreographer at work. No, I see nothing but random fractals of a selfish, queenless hive.

-Exert of the opening narration suggesting that the player is an omniscient, "spiritual choreographer"

WARNING: I try to keep it to a minimum, but there are still spoilers.

For the last two weeks, I have been playing a game called late Shift. Late Shift is the first choose your own adventure game, and originally came out in April of 2016. About a year after that, it was released on steam; the game looked interesting, so I bought it. I found multiple parts of the game, and its platform interesting, and I wanted to share them

The trailer for Late Shift is below. There is language that may be considered offensive to younger audiences.

First time playing

All of everything that everyone has told me to always do if I was ever in a situation like the main character was in did not work. I felt as if the game was forcing me to fail.

The night after I completed my first time through, I thought about what I chose for what the main character to do. I decided that next time, I would be the bad guy; give into the game, and make the wrong decisions

Second Time Playing

I played through a second time, making all of the wrong decisions. I ended up in the same place: helpless, and abandoned.

I was determined to find a good ending; I wanted, above all else, to live happily ever after.

Third Time Playing

I decided to not be good nor bad, but to use my experience to try and get the best possible outcome for me and me only. I alerted as many people possible, and turned myself in.

That did not work either, I found myself, yet again, helpless and abandoned.

Frustration

I did not think about the game for a few days after that, I was too frustrated to do so. I then realized: I was not supposed to play that game multiple times.

I had a difficult time coming by this concept; it seemed so weird for there to exist a game that was not meant to provide unlimited entertainment.

The game was in its own application, it was very confusing to have an object so temporary to be in the same position as other, always permanent objects.

CtrlMovie

I looked up the names of the companies in the startup sequence, and one returned a very interesting result: CtrlMovie. CtrlMovie is a... thing... that aims to make interactive movies that can be played with audiences, and with only one person. I think that interactive movies are an excellent and a perfect way for video games to be realistic until graphics cards are good, and cheap, enough to support lifelike graphics; it is also easier on the developer, because there is less room for bugs.

I have high hopes for the future of CtrlMovie. Their website seems to imply that there are more interactive, choose your own adventure movies to come.

If there are more movies to come, there definitely needs to be an application that is one centralized area for all of the control movies, and not an application for each individual movie.

Specific Problems With Late Shift

I noticed that as I played the game, some of the actions that the main character took were not the actions that I would have took. For a game that wants for the player to control everything, it seemed to be doing the opposite. The game seemed to assume that I had fallen in love with Mei-Ling, which I had not.

I played through the game multiple times, and each time, I inevitably ended up, later in the movie, in the same spot as all of the other times I played through. I found that I was again, not controlling everything; There was no red pill-blue pill choice that decided my outcome; I was not choosing my own adventure, but I was left thinking if me playing this game was any different from seeing it in a cinema, or on Netflix or whatever.

In order to make the movie more changeable, there needs to be more footage; but recording movie-quality footage is expensive; however, the extra cost is worth it, I will pay more for a game that I can play twice, and have a different experiences in, than a game that I can only have one experience in.

Late Shift is a game, by itself, I would not recommend because it is no different from seeing an actual movie; but the choose your own adventure movie is an amazing concept, which needs to be invested in.

Buy Late Shift for Steam

Buy it for the apple app store

Buy it for X-Box

Buy it for Playstation

Comments

Popular Posts

Virtual Reality

Virtual reality seems to be the only topic that is being developed at all in the realm of video games. Right now, it looks to be that virtual reality will be the next revolution in video games; a third of employees at Valve are working on something related to virtual reality. But Isn't Every Video Game Some Kind Of Virtual Reality? Yes, every game is a virtual reality of some kind, but the virtual reality that I will be writing about is a virtual reality that is able to completely trick a sense into thinking it is real. The virtual reality developments going on today are developments in sight, the predominant sense in Humans . Saying that all video games are virtual realities is not accurate, because, to date, no video game has been able to accurately portray a reality indistinguishable to our senses than a real reality. The Moral Importance Of Virtual Reality In Language vlass, I read an essay titled, The moral Importance of Fiction and Literature th

Net Neutrality

Sigh... I really do not want to comment on this. It's never a good idea to get political; getting political makes people who don't agree with your views stop consuming your content, and people who agree with your values pressure you into saying things that you do not want, which will cause all of the previous. I will try to be as unbiased as possible. I live in the United States, so I will be writing from an American perspective, and using current events in American politics; however, this is still an issue that applies to everyone. What is Net Neutrality Net neutrality is the principle that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) must treat all [legal] traffic on the Internet equally; no service receiving better or worse treatment. What is a violation of net neutrality Take a person who desires to search Google for "hilarious cats failing jumps" or whatever. With net neutrality in place, the person's ISP is forced to treat Google equally as all

An Open Letter To Valve and the TF Team

Dear Valve, It is no question that your match making service for TF2 is horrible. Players are met with long wait times, unbalanced matches, and matches the end as soon as they get there. Players, much like me, get infuriated about how i get matched onto a loosing team at towards the end of the round every time . you need to change something about this process, Team Fortress Two is loosing players because of it. Before the Matchmaking Update Before the Matchmaking update, the "Valve Servers" were searchable servers that the client-slash-player could choose from. Servers would never stop, and players could set the round to be whatever map they wanted. Experiences players would join them to use the non experiences players as cannon fodder, and the non experiences players would join because they didn't know how to use the game yet. You most likely changed the way players join servers for this reason, so that newer players could go up against players that wouldn't